This article will tell you about 7 valid methods which will help you to draw special attention on work and not be distracted by time-sapping websites.
- Find out who is your enemy. Determine which services distract your attention while you are working on the Internet. The most common services are:
- social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram;
- free chats;
- news websites;
- financial resources;
- online games;
- interactive websites such as Wikipedia.
- Disable notifications from distracting resources. Sometimes notifications (sounds, pop-up messages, etc) force you to return to the website and get away from work. Fortunately, in most cases, you can turn off notifications. For instance, here is how-to for Facebook. You need to click ‘Settings’, select ‘Account Settings’ then ‘Notifications’ and turn off all of them.
- Define clear tasks in online. It’s easy to be distracted if your goals are vague. For instance, instead of thinking ‘I’m going to send my emails’, define the goal: ‘I’m going to send only 10 emails and to do it till 12 AM’.
- Use distractions time after time as the best reward for yourself. When you have formulated a clear goal make it a rule that you won’t open the distracting sites before complete the task. For example, ‘I can post a new photo on Instagram after I finish with my essay’. Determine the tasks for the next 1-2 hours. When everything is completed, the reward will be yours.
- Set timer. It is easy to lose track of time on such websites. If you don’t want to waste a valuable working time, set the timer. For example, give yourself 10 minutes to visit a news site. When 15 minutes will pass out, go to the next task. You can use software called the Toggl – it is one of such tools. Here you can read the full case of this application and find out did it bring any help.
- Stop access to these sites. If you can’t control yourself, can’t limit the time at entertainment sites, you must put such sites out of range. There are many browser extensions and tools that can prevent visiting entertainment sites. Train the willpower before you take to this step!
- Teach your brain to focus. You can put lots of effort to get rid of distractions. But your brain can still be your worst enemy. So if your brain jumps from thought to thought while working, you need to control it. The following advice may seem silly, but effective. Put an elastic band on the wrist. Every time when distracting thoughts will occur, beat yourself this band. Read more about this method and decide should you use it or not.
But this does mean nothing and people must not be focused around the clock. Distractions are vital for a healthy lifestyle, it can stimulate creative thinking. Researchers insist that viewing web pages on the job help to make you more productive. But only if you did it at the right time.
So instead of letting your mind get distracted during the doing of an important task, determine a time for your brain to relax. This will give you the opportunity to find a time for yourself, consider about own future, relax, increase productivity and quality of your work. After all, your brain will rush to carry out the tasks quick and qualitatively.