SAN FRANCISCO Feb. 15, 2011 RSA CONFERENCE —
- New defense architecture designed to protect customers from increasing frequency and size of distributed denial of service (DDoS)attacks
- Cloud firewall enhancements include advanced vulnerability scanning and custom rules for additional protection against application layer attacks
one trillion dollars
Akamai Introduces Comprehensive DDoS Defense Architecture
A recent Forrester survey showed that 74% of surveyed companies experienced one or more DDoS attacks in the past year, with 31% of these attacks resulting in service disruption.
To combat these attacks launched by botnets and other malicious clients and sources, companies need a multi-layered defense architecture that keeps attacks away from their infrastructure. Having deployed more than 84,000 servers, Akamai operates the world’s largest distributed computing network and provides its customers with comprehensive cloud security services.
- Ability to cloak web infrastructure from the public Internet
- IP blocking and rate limiting capabilities at the network layer
- Web application firewalling at Layer 7 (application layer)
- Scalable protection from Domain Name System (DNS) attacks and DNSSEC
- Blocking of traffic by geographic region
- Identification of suspected BOTs from real users to de-prioritize or block
- DDoS specialists to assess infrastructure and develop a run-time attack playbook
- 24/7 support with a response Service Level Agreement (SLA)
- Capped exposure to bursting fees related to an attack
Akamai Adds New Protection from Layer 7 (application layer) attacks
Akamai is also announcing the bolstering of its Web Application Firewall service, which helps customers comply with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) and provides on-demand scalability for the detection and blocking of malicious Web application attacks such as Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) and SQL injection style attacks. Akamai’s Web Application Firewall service now offers fast IP blocking and IP rate limiting to further offload unwanted requests and bandwidth outside the data-center.
Akamai also announced today that it has begun working with Qualys, a leading provider of on-demand IT security risk and compliance solutions, to explore ways in which advanced application layer protection can be enhanced through vulnerability scans and generation of customized rules for Akamai’s Web Application Firewall solution.
These enhancements to Akamai’s offerings are expected to be made broadly available during the second quarter of the year.
DDoS Attacks on the Rise and Increasing in Sophistication
Internet Retailer Tuesday, November 30th Thursday, December 2nd $15 million dollars
In addition to its retail customers, Akamai has recently helped other companies that came under attack.
- Asian Gaming Company: January 2011 Asia South Korea
- International Government Web site: December 2010
- Fortune 1000 Electronics Manufacturer January 2011 South America Brazil Mexico Thailand $140,000
- IR 150 Retailer: January 2011 Eastern Europe $350,000
Akamai Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act
This release contains information about future expectations, plans and prospects of Akamai’s management that constitute forward-looking statements for purposes of the safe harbor provisions under The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from those indicated by these forward-looking statements as a result of various important factors including, but not limited to, the effects of any attempts to intentionally disrupt our services or network by hackers or others, inability of Qualys and Akamai to enter into a definitive alliance agreement, inability of Akamai to create solutions that offer enhance security in the second quarter of 2011 or ever, failure of any Akamai security solution to operate as expected or advertised, a failure of Akamai’s network infrastructure, and other factors that are discussed in Akamai’s Annual Report on Form 10-K, quarterly reports on Form 10-Q, and other documents periodically filed with the SEC.
SOURCE Akamai Technologies, Inc.