NEW YORK Jan. 18, 2011
- New software release doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required.
- New version of FAST VP (Fully Automated Storage Tiering with Virtual Pools) software automatically optimizes systems and lowers costs by 40%.
- New Federated Live Migration capabilities cut technology refresh time and cost by 75%.
- New VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V integration makes it possible for scale-out Symmetrix VMAX cluster to support 5 million virtual machines.
- New data-at-rest encryption capabilities using embedded encryption and key management from RSA.
For the multimedia version of this press release and related content, please go to: http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2011/20110118-04.htm
Symmetrix VMAX Software Highlights:
- The latest version of Symmetrix Enginuity™ software doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required. It fully leverages Intel® Xeon® technology integrated into VMAX to deliver up to twice as many OLTP transactions and DSS queries, making the fastest storage system even faster and further increasing workload scale.
- EMC FAST VP
- New Federated Live Migration software creates a new storage category by introducing the industry’s first and only built-in array-based functionality for technology refreshes that require zero application downtime and 75% less migration time, planning, and resources.
- New virtual server integration delivers unprecedented scale with up to 5 million virtual machines on a single VMAX. In addition, new VMware API support provides 800% faster management and provisioning and 300% faster replication and mobility.
- RSA Data Protection Manager
- New native 10 Gigabit Ethernet delivers the industry’s first and only high end storage array to support network convergence across all host platform types, including virtual servers, open systems, and Mainframe environments. In addition, native Ethernet support can be used for remote replication over extended IP networks and provides a more than 50% connectivity cost savings compared to competitive alternatives.
"Nationwide is one of the largest insurance and financial services companies in the world. We need our storage infrastructure to be scalable, secure and high performing, Symmetrix VMAX with FAST VP is an ideal fit, especially with our virtual server environment. The intelligent self-optimization feature automatically moves data to the most appropriate storage tier based on performance requirements. Infrequently accessed records are also automatically moved to the most cost effective tier. FAST VP is smart, which will allow us to deliver the fast response and high service levels our customers expect."
Fred Pantelano, Vice President, Infrastructure and Operations, Nationwide
"EMC storage technology is a key part of our information infrastructure, which provides mission-critical e-mail applications for our residential and business customers nationwide. Our customers expect the highest levels of broadband service, so monitoring and reacting to changing data usage patterns manually is impossible. FAST VP allows us to optimize our system for the best performance, take advantage of flash drive technology and maximize the efficiency of our storage infrastructure automatically."
Industry Analyst Quote:
"Just a few years ago, the features that EMC is delivering would have required a new hardware platform. EMC, in many ways, has changed the game with the processing power and scalability of Symmetrix VMAX, making storage software the key to automation that makes it easier than ever for customers to get value out of existing enterprise-class storage investments and to drive adoption of technologies like flash drives and virtualization of mission-critical applications."
EMC Executive Quote
"Symmetrix VMAX was purpose built for the virtual data center and supports some of the largest data centers in the world. We have about 1,000 customers in our Petabyte Club now and within the next ten years, we’ll have 100,000. That data growth is being driven by trends like mission-critical virtual applications, private clouds and Big Data applications. To manage and secure that information, organizations will need a storage infrastructure that is both powerful and smart. With today’s announcement, we’ve taken the smartest high-end storage system and made it even smarter and we’ve taken the fastest system and made it faster."
Brian Gallagher EMC Symmetrix
See What Partners are Saying About Symmetrix VMAX:
All of the new Symmetrix VMAX features listed above are generally available.
the United States
This release contains "forward-looking statements" as defined under the Federal Securities Laws. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements as a result of certain risk factors, including but not limited to: (i) adverse changes in general economic or market conditions; (ii) delays or reductions in information technology spending; (iii) our ability to protect our proprietary technology; (iv) risks associated with managing the growth of our business, including risks associated with acquisitions and investments and the challenges and costs of integration, restructuring and achieving anticipated synergies; (v) fluctuations in VMware, Inc.’s operating results and risks associated with trading of VMware stock; (vi) competitive factors, including but not limited to pricing pressures and new product introductions; (vii) the relative and varying rates of product price and component cost declines and the volume and mixture of product and services revenues; (viii) component and product quality and availability; (ix) the transition to new products, the uncertainty of customer acceptance of new product offerings and rapid technological and market change; (x) insufficient, excess or obsolete inventory; (xi) war or acts of terrorism; (xii) the ability to attract and retain highly qualified employees; (xiii) fluctuating currency exchange rates; and (xiv) other one-time events and other important factors disclosed previously and from time to time in EMC’s filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. EMC disclaims any obligation to update any such forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
SOURCE EMC Corporation