WASHINGTON April 30, 2012
March 14, 2012
Paul T. Conway
Generation Opportunity’s "Gas Prices Are Too Damn High" online petition specifically highlights, that at the same time gas prices have skyrocketed over the last three years:
- Roughly 85% of federal land is off limits to drilling;
- New drilling leases on federal land available for exploration are down 44% from 2007/2008 to 2009/2010;
- Only 2% of our offshore is available for energy exploration with 98% now restricted from drilling.
It asks supporters to sign the petition to ask President Obama and his administration to ease their restrictions on domestic energy exploration and open up more land and offshore for drilling in order to bring gas prices down long-term and ease the additional pressure gas prices are creating for Americans in this already tough economy.
the United States
Also, due to the poor economy, 77 percent of young Americans indicated they either have or will delay major life decisions as a result of the poor economy including decisions to start a family, have children, buy a home, and save for retirement.
Young Americans – American Energy Dependency is Top National and Economic Security Issue:
- Energy Dependency (61%)
- 70% would increase production of domestic energy sources like oil, natural gas, and coal.
Young Americans – Delayed Dreams from a Poor Economy and the Lack of Opportunity:
- 44% delay buying a home;
- 28% delay saving for retirement;
- 27% delay paying off student loans or other debt;
- 27% delay going back to school/getting more education or training;
- 26% delay changing jobs/cities;
- 23% delay starting a family;
- 18% delay getting married.
Young Americans – Majority Disapprove of President Obama’s Management of Youth Unemployment, Washington Out-of-Touch:
- Just 31% of 18 – 29 year-olds approve of President Obama’s handling of youth unemployment.
- 59% of overall Millennials agree the economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference.
ABOUT GENERATION OPPORTUNITY
Generation Opportunity is a non-profit, non-partisan 501 (c)(4) organization that seeks to engage everyone from young adults, to early career professionals, college students, young mothers and fathers, construction workers, current service men and women, veterans, entrepreneurs, and all Americans who find themselves dissatisfied with the status quo and willing to create a better tomorrow.
New York Times The Washington Post The Wall Street Journal
SOURCE Generation Opportunity