How Much Will an Hour of Unplanned Downtime Cost You?
If you own an eCommerce business, then you’re undoubtedly aware of the dangers of unplanned downtime. Your business relies on the idea that customers can quickly and efficiently find and purchase products through your website. Downtime prevents that from happening, leading to loss of monetary revenue, damage to your reputation among customers, and negative impacts on your SEO and SERPs, plus the cost of recovery by developers and specialists. While downtime is never fully escapable for any website, you can mitigate the risks and damages associated with unplanned downtime by partnering with Forix for managed security services.
Impacts of Unplanned Downtime
For the average small business, unplanned downtime can cost anywhere between $150- $500 per minute- an entire hour can cost as much as $30,000 in lost revenue. For larger businesses running sophisticated eCommerce stores on platforms like Magento, downtime can come with a hefty price tag of $5,000- $9,000 per minute, with overall losses exceeding a half a million in lost revenue in just one hour. Any amount of unplanned downtime can be detrimental to your bottom line.
Aside from lost sales revenue, downtime cost can also have negative effects on the other aspects of your ecommerce business, such as your customer experience. When customers can’t access your site or buy your products, it creates a negative experience for them. Because people are more likely to leave negative reviews when they suffer a bad experience than a good one, you can expect backlash on Yelp and Google reviews from disgruntled customers. Not only does unplanned downtime create a negative experience for your existing customers, it may also make it more difficult to convert new customers as well.
Unplanned downtime can also cause your website to slip in the SERP rankings, damaging your SEO. When your website is experiencing downtime and is unavailable, Google and other search engines may send your potential customers to your competitors. Not only do you miss out on a potential customer or sale, you can also potentially lose your high SERP ranking. Note that if Google comes crawling while your site is experiencing unplanned downtime, it’s not the end of the world- the bot will come back eventually to check again. If your site continues to be unavailable, however, it may begin to drop in the rankings or completely disappear from Google’s search results. Years of investment in SEO could be wiped out in days.
What Causes Website Crashes?
Downtime can be caused by something as innocuous as regularly scheduled server maintenance, to something as dangerous as malware or hacking. Common reasons for downtime include server crashes and network outages, human errors such as incorrect coding, or malicious attacks by hackers as they attempt to steal data and information. It’s important to note that improperly maintained sites are at a higher risk for experiencing unplanned downtime. Websites that have regularly scheduled maintenance or solicit a managed services firm for ongoing maintenance are at a significantly decreased risk of succumbing to unplanned downtime.
Ways to Avoid Unplanned Downtime
Unplanned downtime can have serious implications for your online business. However, there are some savvy ways to mitigate your risks:
- Have A Recovery Plan: Always have a backup and restoration plan in place. In the event that your website does go down, a recovery plan helps you get back up and running quickly.
- Invest in Servers: Invest in a good hosting service. The better the server, the less unplanned downtime you can expect to experience. The cheaper the server, well, the cheaper the service. You get what you pay for when it comes to hosting services.
- Take Preventative Measures: Website security monitoring services from Forix can help you prevent unplanned downtime. With website and server monitoring and regular maintenance, we can help your website avoid unplanned downtime, and get you back online quickly if something does go wrong.
- Set Up Auto- Renew: Make sure that any platforms or services that you subscribe to are set to auto-renew. This can prevent gaps in service from your server or host.
- Keep Billing Info Current: Keep billing information up to date. Expired cards or changing banks can cause issues with your renewals or monthly payments for services.
Proactive Magento Website Monitoring
For Magento users, there’s a smart way to hedge your risks associated with unplanned downtime. Partnering with leading Magento agency Forix provides you with proactive website monitoring- we specialize in catching small issues before they become big problems. If something does go wrong, you can rely on our certified Magento experts to quickly identify and solve the issue, getting you back online fast. Get in touch with Forix today to learn more about how we can provide your ecommerce site with managed security services and advanced protections. Protect your website from unplanned downtime and lost revenue with our preventative monitoring services.