Latest News

Immigration and IT

A Pakistani reader should pursue IT certifications before moving to Canada, but employment status will depend on Canadian law.

Dear Molly: I am 24 and live in Karachi, Pakistan. My family is planning to move to Canada by the end of the year and might eventually settle in America. I would like to pursue a career in IT once I am in Canada or the USA. It is not possible for me to pursue a degree in computer science. I am interested in Web site design or Oracle work. Should I get the certifications in these now or wait until I get to Canada?

Molly says: Much depends on your work status once you move outside your home country. You would not be able to work legally in the United States unless the company that hires you makes proper arrangements with the federal government. I don’t know what Canada’s rules are, so you should check with that government for information on its policy of work permits.

That said, I think that as long as you can meet the certification requirements for either Web site design or Oracle, it doesn’t matter which country. Starting now in Pakistan and finishing in Canada is even a possibility. After all, you are not trying to transfer university credits–you are going to take some tests and if you pass, you pass.

Molly Joss also writes the monthly Career Advisor column for ComputerUser magazine. Ask a career-related question at [email protected]

Leave a comment

seks shop - izolasyon
basic theory test book basic theory test