CHANTILLY, Va. July 6, 2011 Intersections Inc.
Each year between the months of April and August, home buying and selling activity increases, and so does the risk of identity theft as personally identifiable information (PII) is shuffled around from one home to the next. During this busy time, buyers and renters become preoccupied with financing their new homes, closing and opening new banking and utility accounts, and packing and moving—all stressful tasks that can distract them and cause them to simply overlook protecting sensitive documents and PII.
To help further educate consumers, Intersections has also put together a list of simple steps a homeowner can take throughout the moving process to help protect their identity.
Top Safety Steps for Homeowners on the Move
- Submit a Change of Address Form
- Shred sensitive documents.
- Monitor financial statements. IDENTITY GUARD® TOTAL PROTECTION
- Use reputable moving companies.
- Keep documents with you. online secure vault
- Enroll in a monitoring service.
- Lock down your computer.
- Supervise the move.
- Check your credit report.
- Verify mail is being delivered.
SOURCE Intersections Inc.