- 37 percent of respondents claim that Facebook is the most important social media platform for their business. The number two and three slots were filled by LinkedIn at 24 percent and Google+ at 18 percent.
- The popularity of social media networks varied widely by industry. Facebook is most popular with restaurants, LinkedIn is used most by consultants, and Google+ has been embraced by medical professionals. In addition, eCommerce businesses rely on Twitter and YouTube is the top choice of technology firms.
- Despite the growth of the social sharing site Pinterest, it was rated the least valuable business platform in the survey, coming in at 1 percent.
Mobile is on the Move
According to the j2 Global survey, small business owners are embracing mobile technology to reach new markets while operating more efficiently. These findings parallel those of a study from the Small Business and Entrepreneur Council showing that small business owners are saving 370 million hours of their own time and 725 million hours of their employees’ time per year by using mobile apps and a Business Journals study that the iPad is the fastest growing technology among SMBs.
The j2 Global survey focused on SMB use of mobile apps and the iPad and found:
- 38 percent of users currently leverage five or more mobile apps to run their business.
- Popular business uses of the iPad include email, the most often reported at 76 percent, to web browsing, document management, product demonstrations and sales, phone and video communications, and online fax.
- Restaurants and other food service companies are driving particularly high adoption of point-of-sale and fax applications, likely due to taking and processing pick-up and on-site orders.
“Small businesses have always been a driver of economic growth. Seeing their continued optimism, as well as their adoption of mobile technologies and social media, is a promising sign,” said Mike Pugh, vice president, marketing of j2 Global. “SMBs keep pushing forward, finding new, more efficient ways of doing business in the cloud and on the move.”
About the j2 Global Small Business Opinion Survey
J2 Global surveyed 1,067 small business owners, who are eVoice, eFax or Campaigner customers, via an online survey about hot topics such as the use of iPads and apps, social networks, optimism in company’s growth, access to loans, and summer vacation plans between April 19 and April 26, 2012. The margin of error is +/- 2.98 percentage points.
About j2 Global
j2 Global (NASDAQ:JCOM) provides cloud services for business, offering Internet fax, virtual phone, hosted email, email marketing, online backup, unified communications, and CRM solutions. Founded in 1995, the company’s messaging network spans more than 49 countries on six continents. j2 Global markets its services principally under the brand names eFax®, eVoice®, FuseMail®, Campaigner®, KeepItSafe®, and Onebox®. As of December 31, 2011, j2 Global had achieved 16 consecutive fiscal years of revenue growth. For more information about j2 Global, please visit http://www.j2global.com.
iPad is a registered trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Facebook is a registered trademark of Facebook Inc.
LinkedIn is a registered trademark of LinkedIn Corporation.
Google and Google+ are registered trademarks of Google, Inc.
# # #
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/6/prweb9640354.htm