Pablo will ship with A La Carte, a solution that will add a host of new rich features to Microsoft Excel and allow users to adopt the widespread product as their standard business intelligence (BI) front-end application. With A La Carte and Pablo, Excel users will be able to create and investigate virtual OLAP cubes containing tens of terabytes of data, thanks to the scalability, low latency and in-memory performance of the underlying Kognitio WX2 analytical database. Furthermore, Pablo will include support for XMLA (XML for Analysis), which allows other front-end BI tools such as IBM Cognos and SAP BusinessObjects to connect seamlessly to the virtual OLAP cubes.
With Pablo, organizations can discover insights from massive amounts of data in near real-time, allowing "train of thought" analysis: gaining the performance of OLAP cube databases without the costs, complexities and latency that have traditionally accompanied the technology. Possible uses across sectors include:
- Financial Services – analyzing risks in vast, constantly fluctuating markets
- Retail – dynamically modifying pricing to cope with the latest trends and influences
- Manufacturing – managing supply chains for innumerable parts and resources
- Energy and Utilities – analyzing consumption and pricing, particularly in the era of smart metering
- Telecommunications – optimizing customer plans to ensure the maximum value for their needs
- Gaming and Hospitality – analyzing player and customer behavior to help encourage loyalty
- Logistics – analyzing vehicle telemetry to ensure peak operation
Pablo works with WX2 to create in-memory images of an organization’s database or data warehouse. By combining these images with a metadata layer and MDX connector, ad-hoc virtual cubes can be created and queried as often as required.
"Technology doesn’t stand still and Pablo is proof of this," continued Llewellyn. "Our aim is to provide the power of Pablo to users at all levels of an organization in all markets, from everyday workers on Microsoft Excel to high-powered analysts on dedicated business intelligence tools. Regardless of your level of expertise and line of business, we believe that sophisticated, in-depth analysis can only ever be a benefit."