- Remove legal protection or courtesy cars from their policy (9.0%)
- Increase their voluntary excess (7.0%)
In many cases, these additional extras are automatically included in insurance packages, so customers don’t even get to choose whether they want to pay for them or not.
IF Andy James
"We would advise motorists to think carefully about the kind of car insurance policy they want in terms of cover and to avoid insuring themselves with a ‘Scorpion’ insurer i.e., there’s a ‘sting in the tail’. For example, a policy may seem cheap, but there is a wide variation in the level of charges imposed by insurers for things like mid-term adjustments, cancellation fees and paying by direct debit. These can all make a policy much more expensive in the long-run.
"51% of the people in our survey said that shopping around online had made it easier to find cheaper insurance. Motor insurance is one area where it is possible to save money and there is a lot of choice out there. What Your Cover does is allow motorists to build their policy themselves, adding on additional extras such as Legal expenses only if it suits their individual budget and lifestyle needs."
Other results from the survey include:
- 35.0% said they intended to review their outgoings and make cuts where possible
- 22.0% intend to spend less on luxury items
- 12.0% said "I am going to have to make large cuts to our outgoings"
SOURCE Allianz Insurance plc