DENVER May 22, 2012 patient safety the United States
Among the report’s key findings:
- 15% more overall patient safety events occurred in hospitals performing in the bottom 10% for physician communication, compared to those in the top 10%
- 27% more overall patient safety events occurred in hospitals performing in the bottom 10% for nursing communication, compared to the top 10%
- 13% more patients at hospitals performing in the top 10% for patient satisfaction reported they received instructions on what to do when they left the hospital, compared to the bottom 10% – key guidance that underscores the importance of communication
HealthGrades conducted the analysis as part of its process for identifying the HealthGrades Patient Safety Excellence Award™ and HealthGrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award™ recipients. This year, 263 hospitals received the Patient Safety Excellence Award, 332 received the Outstanding Patient Experience Award, and 47 received both.
2012 Outstanding Patient Experience Award April 2010 March 2011 patient satisfaction
HealthGrades Patient Safety Excellence Award
HealthGrades identified the implications of patient-provider communication on patient safety by grouping hospitals in three groups according to their HCAHPS patient satisfaction survey results, and then comparing the average patient safety scores for these groups. The groups were: the 10% that received the highest ratings in patient satisfaction, the 10% that received the lowest ratings, and the middle 80%.
- 254,000 patient safety events among Medicare patients could have been prevented
- 56,367 Medicare patients who died experienced one or more of these events
- Patients at hospitals receiving the HealthGrades Patient Safety Excellence Award were 48% less likely to experience a patient safety event, compared to those in the bottom 5%
- 50% more patients give them an overall rating of 9 or 10
- 27% more patients report that staff always explained their medication prior to administration
- 52% more patients report they would definitely recommend the hospital to their family or friends
Denver, Colorado BetterMedicine.com