* 1919 – Pepto-Bismol®, aka “the pink stuff,” hits the shelves under its current name. Its hue is the result of colorant, not a part of the formula.
* 1965 – Pink Floyd was formed. The band was named after two blues musicians, not the resulting combo of red and white.
* 1977 – Victoria’s Secret was founded in San Francisco, Calif. by Roy Raymond. The company more recently launched its PINK® brand but has been known for decades for its dedication to the feminine shade.
* 1985 – The first National Breast Cancer Awareness Month program took place, led by founding sponsors the American Academy of Family Physicians, AstraZeneca Healthcare Foundation and CancerCare, Inc. The week-long event was aimed at filling the information void in public communication about breast cancer.
* 1991 – Pink ribbons were first handed out to breast cancer survivors. The pink ribbon is now the international symbol of breast cancer awareness.
* 1992 – The Avon Breast Cancer Crusade launched in the U.K. The next year, the campaign was adopted in the U.S. Since then, the program has raised almost $700 million to support breast cancer programs around the world.
* 2000 – Singer Pink releases her debut album “Can’t Take Me Home.” It went on to sell more than five million copies worldwide and was certified double platinum.
* 2008 – OtterBox begins its partnership with the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade, launching its “Strength” line of protective smartphone cases. Ten percent of the purchase price of the limited edition pink-and-white cases is donated to support finding a cure for breast cancer and advancing access to care for all, regardless of ability to pay.
“We are very proud to sponsor the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade,” said OtterBox Founder and CEO Curt Richardson. “OtterBox is in the middle of its second partnership with the foundation to raise funds and awareness about breast cancer. Already this year, we have donated $88,381.50 from the sales of the pink-and-white BlackBerry® Commuter Series® cases and we look forward to continuing our strong donations through May 2011.”
Additionally, OtterBox is a sponsor of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. During October, the OtterBox crew will be cheering on participants of the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in New York (Oct. 16-17) as well as the Avon Walk in Charlotte, N.C. (Oct. 23-24).
Together we have the “Strength” to fight breast cancer.
About the Avon Breast Cancer Crusade:
The Avon Foundation for Women’s Avon Breast Cancer Crusade has supported programs in more than 50 countries since its creation in 1992 and to date has raised and awarded almost $700 million worldwide for advancing access to care and finding a cure for breast cancer, with a focus on the medically underserved. Funding supports five areas: awareness and education; screening and diagnosis; access to treatment; support services; and scientific research.
For more information or free printable breast cancer information, visit www.avonfoundation.org.
For information about participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer events, visit www.avonwalk.org.
About OtterBox:Built upon fundamentals of hard work, innovation and perseverance, OtterBox is a leader in the production of premier protective solutions for global handheld manufacturers, wireless carriers and distributors.
Incorporating creativity and cutting-edge design into every product, OtterBox creates sleek and durable cases that offer reliable device protection to complement any lifestyle.
OtterBox was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Fort Collins, Colo.
For more information, visit www.otterbox.com or call 888-695-8820. We’ve Got Technology Covered.
©2010 Otter Products, LLC. All rights reserved. OtterBox and all OtterBox logos, trademarks and symbols are the property of Otter Products, LLC.