Riverside, California (PRWEB) November 30, 2011
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), about 12,500 people go to the emergency rooms to be treated for injuries, such as falls, cuts, and shocks related to holiday lights, decorations, and Christmas trees. This is why safety should be priority for you and your family this holiday season. Online Retailer Home Security Store has some outdoor holiday decoration safety tips to keep in mind before you crawl up on your rooftop to string those holiday lights.
1. Buy/use only lighting sets and extension cords that bear the Underwriters’ Laboratories (UL) or Factory Mutual (FM) label and are specifically marked for outdoor use.
2. Always look for the manufacturer’s recommendations on the number of lights sets that can be strung together and other precautions listed on the packaging for the lights.
3. Check all light sets for fraying, aging, and heat damage. Throw away any sets that show signs of damage.
4. Connect sets of lights to an extension cord before plugging the cord into an outlet.
5. Always test your light sets before setting up your ladder —replacing broken/burnt-out bulbs is much easier on the ground than on a ladder/roof!
6. To hold lights in place, string them through hooks or insulated staples; do not use nails or tacks. Never pull or tug lights to remove or disconnect them.
7. Plug all outdoor electric decorations into circuits with GFI (ground fault circuit interrupter) protection to avoid potential shocks.
8. If you are using a ladder, avoid contact with overhead power lines when setting up your ladder, stringing lights, or working on the roof.
9. Wherever extension cords and light sets are connected together outdoors, keep the connections dry by wrapping them with friction tape or plastic.
Remember, decorating your home for the holidays can be a fun and satisfying task. Just ensure to make it a safe experience for you and your family.
About Home Security Store, Inc.
Home Security Store is the premiere online Ecommerce website specializing in affordable DIY wireless and hardwired home alarms, security camera systems, fire protection, spy equipment, survival gear, and more. The company brings together highly-trained, professional technicians and a state-of-the-art product line to provide the most comprehensive security source found online. The company offers FREE and FAST shipping, plus FREE tech support. For more go to http://www.homesecuritystore.com
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/11/prweb9004760.htm