ORLANDO, Fla. Feb. 22, 2011 Orlando, Florida
Richard A. Mahoney
The Direct Project is an initiative of the ONC for Health IT to extend the benefits of health information exchange to individual physicians and small practices who have limited resources and technology assets to meet requirements for Meaningful Use of EHRs. Since the ONC announced the formation of the Direct Project last year, MedPlus has played a significant role in the development of standards through its participation in workgroups and one of the eight pilots. In the pilot, Care360 EHR is demonstrating early use of the Direct Project specifications and has incorporated those capabilities into its generally-available Care360 EHR solution to improve overall coordination of care and assist with Meaningful Use objectives.
In addition, Care360 EHR now provides Clinical Decision Support (CDS), which analyzes data from a variety of clinical data sources, providing a comprehensive view of a patient’s current medical condition. The CDS engine, embedded with more than 29,000 evidence-based clinical rules — such as gaps in care, drug safety, lab rules, Meaningful Use, HEDIS, and HCC — will leverage clinical data from pharmacy claims and lab results, and combine this information with physician-entered data to generate gaps-in-care reports for Care360 users. The CDS engine will also provide data on all 44 clinical quality measures for eligible professionals for Stage 1 Meaningful Use, and provide a path to Stage 2 of Meaningful Use.
Adoption of the Care360 EHR solution continues to grow among small to medium-size physician practices across the nation. Approximately one third of U.S. physicians—and many of the country’s leading hospitals, health plans and regional health exchanges—currently rely on healthcare information solutions developed by MedPlus to document, analyze and monitor diagnostic, prescription and clinical data to provide better patient care. Because Care360 EHR is Web-based, there is no dedicated IT server hardware or infrastructure required, which shortens implementation time and reduces the Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
Additional Upgrades to Care360 EHR include:
- The ability to send basic reminders and share clinical histories with patients.
- The ability to refer and interoperate with care providers on other EHR systems, including support for CCD as the content standard and support for Direct Project specifications for transport standards.
- An electronic interface to community data sources allowing the physician to receive external documents and patient charts.
- Support for Meaningful Use quality and utilization measures reporting and submission to allow eligible providers to generate, track and report necessary measures to CMS to qualify for Meaningful Use incentives.
- The ability for providers to report to state immunization registries and syndromic surveillance registries.
- Support for flexible, template-based ways to address state regulations for prescription faxes.
- The ability to access patient-specific educational resources.
About Quest Diagnostics
Cincinnati, Ohio www.MedPlus.com
Quest Diagnostics Contacts:
Glen Brandow (Media):
Kathleen Valentine (Investors):
SOURCE Quest Diagnostics