NEW YORK Feb. 22, 2011
The success of Apple’s Application Store has not only established the salability of mobile applications, but has also shown that the most excellent applications offer the potential to generate large amount of revenues. Several telecom giants have thus begun providing dedicated application stores for their users, so much so that more than 2 million applications are currently available for communications, games, multimedia, productivity, travel, and utility purposes.
$4.5 billion $25.0 billion
The study includes native (downloadable) mobile applications (not web-based applications) for mobile devices like smartphones and feature phones (not iPad or tablet PCs). The market segmentation on the basis of store type includes on-deck (operators, mobile device manufacturers, and Operating System (OS) developers managed) and off-deck (independent or third-party managed) stores. This research report categorizes the global market for mobile applications on the basis of
Mobile applications categories:
• Social Networking
• Business and Finance
Business model (store) types:
• Native or on deck
• Third party or off deck
• OS/handset manufacturers
• Application developers
North America Europe Asia
The targeted audience for this report includes:
• Handset manufacturers
• Mobile phone operators
• Mobile software developers
• Application store providers
• Retail electronics distributors
• Enterprises and businesses that require business-specific applications and publish their own applications
• The report uses a combination of primary and secondary research to arrive at market estimates.
• The size of the mobile applications market is calculated using a bottom-up approach; using volume (downloads/year) and prices validated by the key market participants such as CEOs, VPs, and product managers.
• Market sizes were also verified by the cost volume approach.
• Prices and pricing trends in different geographies were identified and analyzed through secondary research, and the average selling price per unit calculated.
• All currencies were converted into USD, based on which the weighted average price of a mobile application was calculated.
• Geographical market split was arrived at by determining users, cost of applications, and the adoption rate in different regions.
To order this report:
Intl: +1 805-652-2626