With Ruckus Smart Wi-Fi systems and technology in place, the wireless network delivered an award-winning performance, easing congestion on cellular networks and delivering always-on access to thousands of visitors equipped with iPads, iPhones, laptops and other mobile devices.
Highlights of the "Smart Wi-Fi" network’s performance include:
- Supported 15,000 users and 2.5 terabytes of data over 10-day period, with an average of 1,480 users per day
- Offloaded an average 220 GB of data from the 3G network each day
- Handled 300+ GB during peak traffic times, which lasted several hours each day
- 90% of traffic utilized the more challenging 2.4 GHz frequency, showing a high proportion of smartphone users
- Provided an average daily consumption of 170.18 MB per user throughout the festival
- Provided 99.999% availability throughout the 10-day festival
Sundance Institute IT staff selected the Ruckus "Smart Wi-Fi" system because of its unique ability to support high-density user environments and deliver more reliable wireless connectivity at longer ranges. This is achieved through adaptive antenna technology that automatically forms and directs Wi-Fi signals, constantly picking the fastest transmission path for each client while steering Wi-Fi signals around interference, which often causes connection problems.
"Once people got on the Wi-Fi network, they stayed there for hours at a time," said Griffith. "The experience of coming to an event like Sundance is something people want to share with their friends and family back home, and they used their mobile devices incessantly to post items to Facebook and Twitter, upload videos to YouTube and generally show everyone what an amazing time they were having. The Ruckus Wi-Fi system was essential in enhancing the experience for Sundance patrons."
About Ruckus Wireless, Inc.
$51 million Sutter Hill http://www.ruckuswireless.com
Nancy MacGregor Hill
SOURCE Ruckus Wireless