ELLICOTT CITY, Md. July 18, 2011 Ellicott City, MD Howard County Ryan Homes Ryan Homes Ryan Homes ®
Howard County Ryan Homes Howard County Howard County
Ken Ulman Howard County
The program checklist includes a variety of environmentally responsible criteria such as paths and trails, open space, environmental preservation, appropriate landscaping, water and energy efficiency and waste management.
A development project can qualify as a Green Neighborhood if it meets a required number of points on the checklist. In terms of site development, the following will take place at The Greens at Locust Chapel:
1. Site design around the natural grade of the site to reduce the amount of disturbance to natural land areas and grading.
2. Infrastructure materials sourced from recycled materials located within 200 miles of site to reduce the amount of transit needed to bring materials to site.
3. A construction waste management plan to reduce the amount of trash on-site and recycle materials that can be recycled (including cans and also oil).
4. Reusing any trees that need to be cleared as mulch to line a natural surface trail that will link the community. Benches and educational kiosks will be located along the trail system.
5. 36 Homes will have rain barrels sized to treat a 1-inch rain event. Water collected by the barrels can be re-used for gardens and lawn and will help reduce stormwater runoff from the roof of the residence.
6. A community pavilion featuring a green roof and solar panels.
Among the most notable environmentally sensitive features of The Greens at Locust Chapel is its community pavilion. This community clubhouse and focal point includes a host of green building initiatives, including a fully planted green roof and special rainwater retention and re-use features. The community pavilion also includes a solar panel that helps reduce its use of energy from the community power grid. Other green features in the community include an electricity generating windmill, a community garden, timers on all exterior lights and permeable sidewalks and driveways that reduce erosion from rainwater runoff.
Ryan Homes Ryan Home ®
Ryan Homes ® ® Worthington Fields
Ryan Homes Howard County, MD RyanHomesLocustChapel.com .