NEWTON, Mass. April 25, 2012 TripAdvisor ®
Mobile Use Takes Off
There has been a significant increase in mobile device usage for air travel among survey respondents.
- Nearly half of all fliers now use a smart phone to check flight status, up from 30 percent from last year’s survey.
- 30 percent report using a device to check-in to a flight, up from 17 percent.
- Use of tablets and iPads in-flight are up 15 percent, with more than one in four travelers now calling theirs a carry-on essential.
Fliers seem skeptical about the need to shut off their beloved mobile devices.
- 58 percent question whether shutting off electronic devices during takeoff and landing is really necessary.
- 40 percent can remember a time when they’ve left their devices on during flight (accidentally or intentionally).
Shh… Anti-social in the Air
When it comes to flying, the majority of travelers have no interest in socializing.
- 76 percent of travelers prefer to keep to themselves while in-flight.
- Only 9 percent expressed interest in trying a "social seating" program that allows fliers to choose a seatmate based on social network profiles.
- 40 percent would pay extra to sit in a designated "quiet" section of the plane.
Barack Obama Mitt Romney Ron Paul Newt Gingrich
Calling for More Comfort
Twenty-two percent of survey participants don’t enjoy a single thing about air travel, and most travelers cite legroom and seat comfort (or lack thereof) as their biggest complaint.
- 41 percent believe that more legroom is the biggest improvement airlines can make, with 30 percent citing more comfortable seating. However, 71 percent aren’t willing to pay for extra legroom on domestic flights less than four hours long.
Frequent Flier Favorites
Travelers like their frequent flier programs and, when it comes to booking, brand does matter.
- 52 percent subscribe to frequent flier programs and find them valuable.
- 58 percent say the brand of airline is important when considering which flight to book.
- 15 percent say that racking up frequent flier miles is the most enjoyable thing about air travel.
- Of the 20 percent of fliers who order an alcoholic drink on-board, 42 percent favor wine.
- Singapore Airlines tops most people’s wish lists, with 17 percent saying they haven’t yet flown with this global carrier but would like to.
Top 5 Favorite U.S. Airports:
- Orlando Florida
- Dallas/Fort Worth Texas
- San Francisco California
- Douglas North Carolina
Additional Air Travel Tidbits
- More than half plan to participate in TSA’s pre-check program.
- The three most popular months for air travel this year are May, October, and September.
- 27 percent would choose one airline over another if the flight offered Wi-Fi.
- 45 percent are concerned that rising gas prices will cause air fares to increase, so they plan to book travel plans early.
- 43 percent consider airplanes to be the most germ-laden travel location, more so than hotel rooms and public transportation.
Bryan Saltzburg TripAdvisor Flights
® China daodao.com
www.airfarewatchdog.com www.bookingbuddy.com www.cruisecritic.com www.everytrail.com www.familyvacationcritic.com www.flipkey.com www.holidaylettings.co.uk www.holidaywatchdog.com www.independenttraveler.com www.onetime.com www.seatguru.com www.sniqueaway.com www.smartertravel.com www.tingo.com www.travel-library.com www.travelpod.com www.virtualtourist.com www.whereivebeen.com www.kuxun.cn
©2012 TripAdvisor, Inc. All rights reserved.