With vendors jockeying for position following CES, the tablet wars are now in full swing. Apple’s iPad has set the pace with market dominance in 2010, but serious challengers are appearing. Demand for tablets will accelerate in 2011 and beyond, fueled by consumer and enterprise interest as well as the introduction of devices based on Google’s Android and other operating systems. E-readers, gaming devices and notebook computers will be cannibalized along the way. Companies in the mobile device space must be aggressive in their efforts to gain a competitive edge.
- RIM BlackBerry PlayBook (Tablet OS, dual-core TI OMAP processor)
- Apple iPad2 (iOS, "A5" processor)
- Motorola Xoom (Android "Honeycomb", NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor)
- Cisco Cius (Android, Intel Atom processor)
- HP Slate (Windows 7)
- HP Palm Topaz (WebOS, Dual-core Qualcomm MSM8660)
- Nokia Z500 (MeeGo)
- ViewSonic gTablet (Android, NVIDIA Tegra 2 dual-core processor)
UBM TechInsights’ expert teardown reports reveal integrated circuit (IC) content and design wins, system architecture, as well as system and sub-assembly metrics for a growing list of tablet products. Customers can purchase individual reports or a one-year license to continually access new content and resources on-line, including:
- Apple iPad Samsung Galaxy Tab
- 18 new teardown reports planned for 2011
- "IC Locator" tool to identify specific ICs found in analyzed tablets and smartphones
- "Feature-Set Search" tool to compare common features across analyzed devices
- Bill of materials (BOM) and manufacturing cost estimates for selected products
"By combining our proven approach to managing intellectual property with the timely analysis in our product teardowns, customers interested in the tablet sector will be well positioned to meet the competitive challenges of this growing market," continued Alexov. "We are pleased to add this focus on tablets to our highly respected portfolio of teardowns that also cover a wide range of mobile and consumer electronics products."
Booth 2B93, Hall 2 Barcelona Spain February 14 .
About UBM TechInsights
SOURCE UBM TechInsights